Stay at Home-coming choir
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Submit your video by Friday, April 3 to participate.
During this challenging time, let us inspire one another and the world through the passion that originally brought us together -- music! All AOSFYC alumni (1963-2019) are invited to join this virtual choir project. We will each video ourselves singing our part on our trademark piece: Battle Hymn of the Republic. Once all videos have been submitted, they will be combined into one collaborative video performance of the Battle Hymn -- your voice and face will be joined through the distance with all the other voices that have chosen to participate.
Download this recording:
Download this recording:
Follow all instructions below:
- Download the recording linked above.
This recording includes a metronome "click" along with the accompaniment of Battle Hymn, choral parts, and some spoken coaching from Dr. Peterson. This very strict approach to the tempo may not be as expressive as we might perform it live, but it will help us to ensure that we are together when bringing potentially hundreds of separate recordings together.
- Practice, practice, practice! with the Recording
If nothing else, it will help you pass the time at home and lift your spirits!
A few musical notes:
• Once the piano starts, the introduction is only 6 beats (a bar and a half long), then come in on "Mine eyes..."
• Dr. Peterson will speak at the transitions form the "Ah" section to the beginning of the "In the beauty..." verse. Listen to this a few times to become more comfortable with the transition here.
• Perform all rhythms as written -- this middle verse will not be as free as Dr. Peterson conducts at the Fair. Follow the metronome.
• Note the text we will sing on this verse is: "As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free."
• Dr. Peterson will verbally cut you off at the end.
If you would like a copy of the sheet music sent to you, please contact us.
- Video record yourself singing your part as you listen to the recording through headphones or earbuds.
For your video to be used, you must sing along with the provided recording. This will ensure that our tempos match and will sound good when edited together. However, the recording must not be audible on your actual video (we don't want that nasty click to be heard on the final product), so listen to the recording through headphones or earbuds. Please video your face/head while singing -- no need for your full body.
- Upload your video and fill out the form below by Friday, April 3rd (extended deadline).